Save with an electric vehicle
Oiltechnologies Namibia, discovered how to save with an electric vehicle. They are a local company that specializes in recycling used oil and cleaning separator pits They also clean oil spills and give disposal certificates. They had a few problems with their daily staff transport in and out of Windhoek:
- 1. Staff used to travel in a open bakkie (unsafe)
- 2. Unauthorised stops and transport of goods. (despite the tracker)
- 3. Excessive fuel use and wear and tear. (frequent downtime for repairs and services)
So they bought the second Nissan Leaf to be imported to Namibia in February 2018 and still use it daily to commute their staff in and out of Windhoek. The vehicle has been driven through a shack 😱 and had a fairly severe side-swipe collision but has not missed a beat and was able to drive away from both accidents. The parts were ordered at the local Nissan dealer from South Africa without issues.
Here is a very simple cost comparison.
|Nissan Leaf Gen 1 pre-owned|
ex Japan 2011 model 57 000 km
|Hyundai H100 2.5D local|
2017 model +/- 60 000 km
|40 000 km covered in 2.5 years||costs worked on 40 000 km|
|Total costs N$ 0.90 per km||Total costs N$ 3.50 per km|
|Electricity used : N$ 11,660.00||Diesel N$ 53,328.00|
|Maintenance sofar N$ 0.00||Maintenance N$ 14,000.00|
|Service due 3 yrs/50 000 km||Service due 1 yr/ 10 000 km|
|Cost of service +/- N$ 1,500.00||Cost of service +/- N$ 3,000.00|
|Purchase price N$ 100,000.00||Purchase price N$ 230,000.00|
Added bonuses of saving with an electric vehicle?
- Front brake pads can last up to 200 000 km due to inertia being converted to electrical power and charged back into the battery
- There are fewer moving parts to break so breakdowns are less likely and maintenance is less
- EVs emmit about 80% less heat than a ICE vehicle overall, so there is less need touse the air-conditioning
- EVs are, despite the general medias efforts to prove otherwise, safer than their ICE equivalents.
You can check out their story by calling Karsten on 081 141 5060.
How will you save with an electric vehicle?
If you already own any EV, send us your story.
Contact us for questions/enquiries, or see what EVs we have for sale here.